Vegetarian Egg Roll Recipe (Vietnamese Cha Gio)
In Vietnam, “cha gio” is usually made on special occasions. The golden crispy roll is balanced with fresh herbs and vegetables such as mint, lettuce, bean sprouts, and cucumber slices. For extra flavor the roll is wrapped in greens and dipped in a salty, spicy, and sweet dipping sauce (nuoc mam cham).
- 2 oz of carrots
- 2 oz jicama
- 2 oz or 1 king oyster mushroom or any mushroom available
- 2 oz shallots
- 2 oz taro
- 2 oz vegetarian ham or tofu
- 2 oz rice noodles
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon mushroom seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch (to mix later)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (for paste)
- 3 tablespoon water
- Soak rice noodles in and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Shred carrots, taro, and jicama and set aside (squeeze juice from jicama).
- Julienne cut king oyster mushrooms .
- Julienne cut vegetarian ham or tofu (optional).
- Remove noodles from the water and squeeze the moisture from noodles and cut into 1 inch sections.
- Dice shallots.
- Mix all ingredients into a large bowl (carrots, jicama, king oyster mushroom, shallots, taro, and vegetarian ham).
- Mix dry ingredients except cornstarch in a bowl (salt, pepper, sugar, and mushroom seasoning).
- Combine seasoning into vegetable bowl mixture until well mixed.
- Add cornstarch.
- Cut the two ends of the wrapper and the cut the wrapper diagonally into a triangle
- Peel individual wrappers.
Paste (to seal egg roll)
- Mix 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch with 4 tablespoon of water and put mixture in microwave for 15 seconds until gelatinous consistency.
- Place the triangular wrapper in front of you with the corner on top.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the mix onto the bottom middle of wrapper.
- Roll 1 1/2 times.
- Fold the two sides to the middle.
- Roll 2 more times.
- Dab a bit of the cornstarch paste onto the top corner of the wrapper to seal the roll.
- 1 1/2 cups of oil – 3/4 of the the egg roll must be submerged in oil.
- Fry the rolls in medium heat.
- Flip when one side is golden.
- Remove from pan when both sides are crispy and golden.
- Set in a colander to remove excess oil.
- Place extra egg rolls in zip lock bags to save in freezer for two to three months.
- Must wrap the rolls right away after the ingredients are mixed or ingredients will be soggy.