It's warming up in the city and everyone knows what that means, it's barbecue season. Can you smell the rich smoky sauce intoxicating all your senses? This recipe was inspired by my uncle Tony's, family favorite, baby back ribs recipe. We decided to make our own vegetarian version of his popular dish. Mmm… so crispy, yet so soft inside.
- 1 pack firm tofu
- 1/4 cup five spice seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (add more or less depending on your tastebuds)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon mushroom seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil (for pan frying)
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce we love our Sweet Baby Ray's but you can use any other bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (add more or less depending on preferred spice level)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice tofu in 3/4 inch pieces.
- Sprinkle each tofu with five spice seasoning.
- In a bowl mix (cornstarch, minced garlic, salt, paprika, mushroom seasoning, and black pepper).
- Dip tofu into the cornstarch mixture and all sides of tofu.
- Fry tofu with canola oil on medium heat.
- Turn over when crispy and golden brown.
- Set on a napkin to remove excess oil and set aside.
- Make the bbq sauce by adding olive oil, bbq sauce, and Sriracha in a pan on medium heat and letting it simmer for a minute.
- Place the tofu in the pan to smother each tofu piece.